Wednesday, November 3, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons...Make Lemon Bars!

Everyone always says, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."  Seriously, lemon-y water that will just make you pee?  I say, "Make Lemon Bars!"  Actually, I would really say, or rather, ask, my Grammie to make lemon bars, because she makes the best lemon bars.  I need to put a call into Grammie.
The point is, why settle for lemon water, when you can have something substantial and sweet?  Have I mentioned I never lost my sweet tooth during my eating disorder?  It's a family sweet tooth--not going anywhere.

Lemonade is lemon, sugar and water.  Lemon bars are lemon and sugar and flour(?) and bread crumbs, more sugar(help me out, Grammie) and other stuff but the point is, when you're struggling, you want to bring in the most stuff to stick together to bring about the best situation for you.  Not a couple things that may help to pass the moment.

Sometimes that works, and you need whatever willl get you over that hurdle.  You need that quick coping mechanism, that swig of lemonade.  But in the long run, you need a good recipe that will bring in all the elements that will help you go to battle for your recovery.  You need all the ingredients, all the tools that you know are things that attribute to your success in your recovery and will hold strong when that nasty eating disorder voice gets in.  Because we know he does, and he doesn't give up.  But neither do you.  You're stronger than he is, and so your recipe will be as well.

Think of all the things you have learned.  Not just one or two, but a bunch, and put them together for one exquisite dish.  Make it part of your long term recovery plan.  Make it your lemon bar...or whatever your favorite thing is that you want to get back to.  (and it doesn't have to be food related, but if it helps, go for it!).  Let it come back to you.  Move forward with it using your tools and it will become easier when crisis situations hit to reach out to--to have a goal and know how to get to it.

Coping skills are great, and I still need to use them, but also having a lot of tools in the box, or elements to a recipe, are a fantastic addition to the recovery cabinet.  Just remember to pace yourself, because it doesn't all change in a day.  Recovery is a process, but a beautiful one, and just take it step by step and you will see the changes.

I still see them every day, reflected in the things I do or say, even though I'm about four years into recovery and about to have a book published.  My recovery has greatly affected my life, and I will always be grateful for it.  I was making lemonade once, or more like, Crystal Light, but am back to Grammie's Lemon Bars, and am happy to be at the place I am.  It was a struggle, but a journey, and I hope that many of you are also on the journey of recovery and finding your way.  It is a difficult, but amazing journey to take.

My book, "Hang in There, Wherever 'There' is," will be in stores in a month, and is currently available on e-book on Amazon: Hang In There, Wherever "There" Is

My website, which will be updated soon, is http://www.nicoleroberge.com/

Thanks for stopping by!

Nicole
Nicole@NicoleRoberge.com

No comments:

Post a Comment